Monday, July 17, 2006

Santa Maria Novella Train Station

I flew into Milano days ahead of my group and travelled three hours by fast train to Florence (Firenze) Italia. When I stepped off the train this is where I found myself inside Stazione di Treno Santa Maria Novella. This is a very important place...especially when you have no other mode of transportation and you need to get in or out of town. This is the main train station in Florence , I learned in the upcoming weeks how to buy tickets, no need to be shy...I just watched what the Italians did and then bought our biglietti. When I was running late I bought my espresso and my favorite breakfast treat burdino di risso at the station, and boarded the trains in and out of the city to Pisa, Rome, Venice, and the Italian Riviera for over two months. Its very loud in this space and you have to pay attention in and around the station. There are those who lurk in the shadows, and sometimes they hang out in open spaces too, often they do not have your best in mind! It doesn't hurt to know some rough Italian either, "Cose voi?", no.. I don't mean a rough Italian guy either. On a side note that could be helpful, I guess! Usually, rough people run with other rough people, so be cautious who you hang out with!! I had to be aggressive with a few people, something I refrain from doing unless i feel threatened! Never go into the train stations without some loose euro because you must pay for the bathrooms and I found out it is difficult to get change. Somehow I did more than manage to be safe and mindful of my surroundings. I had fun and lively conversations with crazy-smart people in the process and learned to be autonomous and enjoy where I was.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Aliscia it was more akin to sink or swim, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere if I hadn't tried really hard. I flew into Milano by myself and had to deal with getting from Malpensa to Centrale Stazione. It was wild and crazy. Lesson number one, watch the gypsies. They are aggressive! You must be also or you will lose your wallet. Lesson number two, take a few minutes and observe carefully. It will save you time in the long run. Lesson number three, remember the Golden Rule and practise it even with difficult people. ***Critical*** Lesson number four, when followed by someone that makes you feel threatened or uncomfortable keep walking towards other people, especially the polizia even if you miss a train. It happens so be prepared not paranoid!! Trust your instincts and love the moment!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home